Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Confession



Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts. I was better after I had cried, than before--more sorry, more aware of my own ingratitude, more gentle. - Great Expectations, Charles Dickens


I have been finding it incredibly comforting recently to confess. To tell God about all the times I fail, the times where I am bitter and mean-spirited about my body, or the times where I fill my days with meaningless things, or the fears I have that I am selfish with my time, or the times when I just feel so much doubt about His goodness.


It feels slightly odd to confess to a God who knows everything, even the bits I try to hide away and squash into some non-descript and secret part of myself, like my appendix or something. But then I realise how amazing it is that God asks us to confess, to tell Him about our struggles. Because it does not benefit Him - He knows it already. He asks for confession because it is good for us. My heart feels lighter, I realise I know my sin and want to change and though I lack the strength God is there with His hand outsretched saying 'Reach over here, Miriam. Fall in, breathe out. I will carry you.' and He forgives and helps me.

No comments:

Post a Comment