Monday, May 9, 2016

Sweet, sweet spring


The moon was the smallest sliver of pink silver tonight.

This week:

For the first time in a long time I actually reached my running goal of two long runs (about 12km each) and 2 short runs (5-7km each) mostly because of the gorgeous weather we've been having. I've been able to wear my summer dresses and my long sleeved tops have been relegated to the very back of my cupboard.

While running on Saturday down by the river (which is my favourite route), I passed a little girl and her mother. The girl was singing 'I'll never know dear, how much I love you, please don't take my sunshine away.'

The IT department has been so kind and helpful with my laptop woes, especially since I'm not very helpful, having little to no knowledge about the difference between a SSD and a SSHD and a HDD (although with all the googling for a new hard drive I've become better!) Hopefully my laptop will be revived by the end of this new week and I'll be able to have the blessing of skyping my family on a big screen again.

Also coming up in the new week is something I'm half dreading and half desiring. With some others in Just Love, I'll be taking on the 'Mean Bean Challenge' which consists of me eating plain rice and beans (and porridge cooked in water only for breakfast) for 5 days, in solidarity with those who face food poverty. I'll be raising funds (and documenting my experience) and praying and praying and praying. I know it won't be easy, since I love being creative and adventurous with cooking, and I'm also pretty much the world's biggest snacker. I won't be able to do this on my own strength (both physical and mental) and I pray that God will give me the strength and endurance to finish this. I can't believe this is a daily reality for 1 in 9 people in the world since just thinking about it already daunts me. But we shall see we shall see.

Yesterday after my long run, I curled up on the garden bench with dinner and 'The Waves'. It has a structure I didn't expect, lots and lots of just what seems like dialogue but I think is thought. And yet I found myself confronted with heart-aching beauty, not just in words but in the memories they brought back and the people they called to my mind (not through association particularly but more by emotion)

On Wednesday I also spent my evening curled up, in Alex's room as we watched the first half of 'Much Ado About Nothing', with David Tennant as Benedict and Catherine Tate as Beatrice, and it was hilarious. Part 2 (after the intermission) will be hopefully this Wednesday!

Today I had a picnic with the church girls before service begun, which will hopefully happen again if the sun keeps smiling on us like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment