Monday, December 21, 2015

Let this be our prayer


Yesterday I spent the evening writing down quotes I love in my diary. It’s the beautifully bound little brown book that Hannah bought for me when she was travelling all over Europe, and when I write in it I think of her walking through the streets of Santorini, giggling at buskers in Barcelona, and sitting down with football fans in Florence.

Some of my favourites were those by Marianne Williamson, and George Eliot. But one that struck me, as it always, always does, are these beautiful words by Hannah Brencher (which Luk Ching showed me):

God, reduce us to love.

God, make me so small and humble that all people can see is love.

Inside.

Outside.

I’m just so hungry to be long and everlasting love while my tiny feet are on this earth.

Let it not be for an agenda.

Let it not be for a status.

Soften my heart and make me not proud of  the things that deserve your credit.

Make my heart weak and woozy with a love that wrecks, rebuilds, and calls others out of darkness.

God, reduce me to love so that your will be done.


God make love famous and let me slip into the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment